Interview with Talaandig Artists

Photo by Mark Salvatus


The home of Talaandig Artists is located in Songco in Lantapan Bukidnon in Mindanao. I visited their village during their community festival. This post presents conversations with the leader of the artist group, Waway Linsahay Saway, and painters Balugto Poonon Necosia, Soliman Poonon, and Salima Saway-Agra-an. (Interviewed on October 13, 2013, in Songco, Lantapan Bukidnon, Philippines, Interviewer: Mayumi Hirano)

*******************


Interview with Waway Linsahay Saway


Photo by Mark Salvatus

The Talaandig Tribe has a school of living traditions, which is recognized by the National Commission for Culture and Arts (NCCA). How does it function?

In 1995, the school was founded by my brothers. I was one of the teachers, teaching music. When we were starting up the project, NCCA supported us to construct the building. We don't get support after that because we don't ask for it. We want self-determination. We want to show the world it's not about the support but it's the commitment of the community that will support everything. Actually the “school” for us is just a landmark or a symbol to state that we have an existing culture. Having a school building is not important for us, but what matters the most is to maintain the environment, where children experience the tradition everyday. When their minds open up, they start doing it. It's a very organic process. It's not a curriculum. There is no step.

Is the school open to everyone in the community?

Yes, we are not limiting the education to the Talaandig children but we teach everyone who loves to open their heart. We also have some programs for people outside Talaandig tribe. We help other tribes around here, including the Manobo Tribe. They are trying to revive their arts. Actually my dream is to teach every tribe how to appreciate their own culture and find a way to reinforce the tradition by adding a flavor to the existing culture.

It’s been almost 20 years since the establishment of School of Living Tradition. I am sure that the community has gone through many changes. What was the cultural situation of the Talaandig Tribe like back then? What motivated you and your brothers to take an action to conserve your culture?

I have a background in theatre arts; I play music and do painting also. I spend four years in Boracay, meeting with different artists and musicians. At that time I was searching for myself. I grew up with my parents and relatives in the Talaandig community, hearing the music and seeing the dance and rituals. But then I didn't have the feeling of loving these things, because I had nothing to compare. I was rather interested in western music played on the radio.

When I stayed in Boracay, I learned some tribal people were working with their identity through arts, and it opened up my mind. My understanding about our cultural identity became clearer. When I was growing up in the community, I didn't realize my village was a treasure, and the culture was gold. I was so immersed that I couldn’t see the importance. So after I learned many things outside, I came back home and I started to revive our music and art, and teach the importance to young kids. When I came back in 1994, the music in the tribe was almost dying because of the modernization.

I tried to apply what I learned outside to my community. What I did was to make a traditional drum, and I taught people in my community how to play. I also taught them how to paint. Most of the kids here only go up to elementary school. Artists here don't have proper education, but through art and music they can interact with people in other communities. I also teach them how to communicate in English. Because there are many foreign visitors come here, so they need to build up their speaking skills.


Memories of the Peoples of the Earth: The Talaandig R/evolution, Singapore Biennale 2013 

Is painting a part of traditional culture for the Talaandig tribe?
Painting is not part of our culture, but through painting, we show our culture. It's like a narrative of culture. Because we are a tribe, we have to work together. Painting gives us an opportunity to exchange ideas. When one person proposes an idea, we do critique to come to an agreement. They often ask me for the suggestions for the title of their works. They tend to just paint. I tell them to transfer their imagination to canvas.

When I teach painting, I don’t tell them anything about the art history. I just teach them how to use the brush, soil and paint on canvas. While they are painting, I also give them technical suggestions like how to make the color balance, etc. When I was in Bohol, I used to paint together with friends by using clay. So when I came home in 1994, I introduced not only clay but also soil that we can pick up from the land as pigments. You can choose different colors with soil. Many friends, like Kublai Millan from Davao, also helped us to develop the craft.


Memories of the Peoples of the Earth: The Talaandig R/evolution (detail)


How many artists do you have in the community?
Some are active and some only paint once a year. They are also farmers. So I would say 20 to 30. The younger ones work faster.

The Talaandig artists are featured in Singapore Biennale 2013. How did it happen?
The curators, Ms. Joyce Toh and Mr. Abraham Jr. Garcia came here, talked to the artists and asked us to write a proposal. So we submitted the proposal early this year, and it was approved. The theme or concept of the biennale is- “if the world changed”. So we thought of what it means to us, and we painted our community and how the traditional culture and development coexist. In the proposal we noted only 10 artists, but most of the artists in the community worked for it. The work is already in Singapore Art Museum.

How was the process of making a collaborative work? How was working with international curators?
Good thing about collaboration for us is that we have an illustrator, who is good in sketching- Salima Saway. We tell her where to put the images like people, car, truck, and other stuff and our master sketcher says OK and she finishes the sketch. After that, we put colors. We just enjoyed the process. We don't have problems with painting together. Nobody opposes each other. In terms of working with the curators, they visited here twice. It’s an exiting process. They frankly shared their ideas, and it was not a problem for us. We can easily adjust. We are easy to work with just like soil.

You mentioned about modernization and its influence on the local culture. Will you tell me the changes you witnessed in the community?
Actually there are so many changes because we started to use computers, the Internet and cellular phones. But still the culture is here. We can determine what is modern and what is tradition. The purpose of the School of Living Tradition is to get the children understand the culture while they are still young. So when they start going to universities outside of the community, they still carry their identities. It's not perfect, but we are trying.

Photo by Mark Salvatus


Do the kids come back to the community after finishing up the degree?
Of course! Some of them already graduated and came back. The university education teaches you to have a good job and buy a beautiful house and car. Your life is already prescribed. The success is determined by what you have. It's very materialistic. That's the reason why people don't come back to the community. But in our case, we teach them how to love our community. They come back. My idea is that we make beautiful things, and everyone will come, because everyone vows to beauty. To make it effective, I tell them there are two ways: “many” and “huge”. When you make a thing, make many. Then people will see it. If you make it so big, people will notice it. My idea is that I will establish a Talaandig Peace Park. We have a piece of land over there. We will make beautiful sculptures of our elders who are peace makers. We will collect entrance fee and the money will be used for the community.


*******************
Interview with Balugto Poonon Necosia

Photo by Mark Salvatus


How did you become an artist?
I was inspired by the culture of our tribe. My father is good in arts and music. He is not a painter, but he does different stuff. I started painting in 2006, which is not a long time ago. Before I was drawing in pen & ink, and watercolor and then I studied with Waway Saway here. He told us “do what you want to do, you are free. Just remember that the first artist had no teachers.” So that's why we started to make beautiful things.

Where do you get the soils from?
We collect the soils from the river, mountain and the farm. We have 13 colors. Some colors are difficult to find, like green. We have to go to the cave. We put water and white glue to hold the soil together and we apply it on canvas. After we finish painting, we apply the acrylic emission onto the surface.

I like how you incorporate the paintings as architectural elements of the house.
I was thinking of new style and new look. A few months ago, there were visitors, and they liked some paintings and bought it so that’s why there are some empty spaces on the wall. I couldn't say no. Many people come, including artists and non-artists. I also have different kinds of animals, visiting me (laughs).




Do you mentor the younger artists?
Yes, not only here in the village but also in other barangays and some nearby schools. We also have Korean students visiting the village every year. There are 20 or more artists of different ages in the village, and each of us has different styles. Some of my students have a very similar style with me, I think they are influenced by my works. Sometimes they just observe what I’m doing. If I have extra materials, I share it with them. I just tell them just put your own ideas on canvas.

Do you collaborate with other artists?
Sometimes we work collaboratively. It's good. It’s more fun and we can build relationship to understand other artists and their feelings. It builds up a good community.

*******************
3. Interview with Solima Poonon



How did you learn how to make artwork? Did someone teach you to paint?
At first, I was challenged by what Waway told me. He said whatever you want to do, and what you think of, just do it. Whatever that makes you happy apply it in your daily life and share it with others because you are part of a bigger world.

Did you see a lot of changes in the life of the community wince when you were growing up as a child in this community up to now?
There was a big change… a lot of changes. Before we live in the mountains and my father used to be a farmer and planting potatoes and I didn’t know what was a “Talaandig”. When we were small, the elders in the community told us we are Talaandig. I asked to myself what is Talaandig? Growing up, attending different meetings and going to school it marked to my mind that I am part of this indigenous tribe. I joined apartheid youth peace camps and from there I slowly realized and learnt about my tribe.

Art and music is already in the community, it was Waway Saway who encourage us to create.  Balugto is the main reason why I got interested in the arts, he always urged me to come and join in the painting sessions, music jamming to different places, even if I don’t have money Balugto would urge me to come and says “ako ang bahala”. Sometimes Waway scolded us if we made mistake in painting or in life in general but we respect him because we know we are learning from him.  He also encouraged us to build our own house/space. He said artists must have a space to work and make artworks; it’s a challenge for us because we don’t have regular paying jobs, but we did it, we build our own house/spaces.

Now we have a space and we can see the difference from before. We are also aware that as a young Talaandig, we are the ones who will keep our culture & tradition alive. The elders also consider us important as the next generation of Talaandig and they let us participate in the important meetings of the tribe. Our task now is to teach the children about our tradition by being an example.



How do you teach the children?
There is a school here in the community- The School of Living Tradition. Children as young as 3 year old learn about our traditional culture of dance and song. They also learn in the traditional language- Binukid. The idea of the school is to teach the kids their own identity that they are Talaandig and when they enter regular schools with other students from other villages the Talaandig children know their own culture.  These kids already know our dances & songs.

How about paintings? Is it part of traditional culture?
Actually painting is relatively new, its not part of Talaandig tradition and it was developed by Waway Saway 15 or 16 years ago. None, but carving is traditional, we use it in decorating bolos and shields. We also have blacksmiths here in the community. They make knives and swords.  

*******************

4. Interview with Salima Saway-Agra-an



I heard you are the best in sketching in the community. What are you working on right now?

I am making a sketch for a fast food restaurant in Malaybalay. I also have an ongoing group exhibit in Cube Art Callery in Cebu. I’m participating in another group show in Cebu City, opening on October 25. The show is not about the Talaandig tribe, but about woman artists in Mindanao. It’s an advocacy and celebration of being a woman. I’m showing three paintings there. One painting is entitled “Your Body is Your Goal”. It doesn't talk only about woman but also about man. The work has a more universal theme of health. A naked woman has a snake inside of her body. If you don’t take care of your health, your body will bite you like a snake.

Are there many female artists in Talaandig?
Before I was the only woman artist here in the community, but now including my sister, we are three female artists. Adelfa kinuyog is an elder sister of mine. She is 54 years old. She started painting when she was 53. She discovered that she also has the talent. It’s so nice to see an adult starting up painting.

When did you start painting?
I started painting and drawing before I learned how to write my name. I usually make paintings of birds, any kinds of birds. Watercolor was my first medium. I started painting when I was 13. My first painting was a nude woman patching a broken jar. She is surrounded by her children. The painting is about putting the broken pieces together and talks about the conflict in Mindanao. The woman is teaching the children how to become a peace builder.

When I was 15, I went to Illinois in the United States, and I brought my paintings. Then someone bought it. She liked it. She was a private collector. I cannot trace it any more. I was too young so I just sold it so that I can buy some things, like canvas and paints. At that time I didn’t really care, but now I wonder where my work is. I didn’t even have a photo of it and I only have the memory… I actually tried to repaint it.




Do you use only soil to paint now?
I also use watercolor. I love it. There is no limitation unlike soil. With soil, you should be careful choosing the color, because once the colors are mixed, it can be really brown and you cannot see the red or even the tint. But with watercolor, you don’t have this problem.

What are your future plans?
I’m making a lot of paintings so that I can go back to school. If it’s possible, I want to finish my degree in college. I still need to save up. If I can afford, I want to go back to school in Malaybalay City. My course is public administration. Even though I may not be the head of the community, I want to learn how to administrate. It is good to get education so I know how to defend the community if something happens.

X


Rodelio "Waway Linsahay" Saway (b.1969) is a cultural chieftain of the Talaandig Tribe, Waway Linsahay is the son of prolific Datu Kinulintang Saway, a pioneer advocate for rights of Indigenous Communities in the Philippines. Waway Linsahay is one of the leading contemporary artists in Mindanao. He is also a musician and educator with 6 recorded albums of traditional and contemporary Talaandig music, collaborating with other local and foreign world musicians, such as Grace Nono, Dave Eggar, Bayang Barrios. He uses traditional musical instruments in his music, and is constantly creating new instruments that capture the nuances he experiences in nature. He pioneered the use of soil in paintings, serving as a de facto teacher for younger Talaandig artists.

Paintings of Marcelino "Balugto" Necosia Jr (b.1984) articulate a philosophical man's musings on the relationships of nature, man and divinity, expressing both the core Talaandig worldview and his keen observations of modern life as lived by a culture bearer. A self-taught artist, he moved from pen and ink to soil in 2007, and immediately joined local art competitions. A regional winner for 2007 and 2009 for the Philip Morris Philippine Art Awards, Balugto regularly participates in the Kalinawa Indigenous Peoples Visual Arts Competition. His exhibitions include: Kalinawa Art Awards Foundation (2007 to 2013), Philip Morris Philippine Art Awards (2008, 2010), Agyu sa Lupa (2011, 2012, CDO), Philippine-Korean Visual Arts Exchange Exhibit (2012, Manila) and Huning Lumad (2012, Cebu). In addition to being a soil painter, he is an avid percussionist, and dabbles with bas reliefs and found art.

Soliman Poonon (b.1984) is a self-taught artist who started painting in 2004. Most of his paintings are stories told from generations to generations, given a contemporary feeling. He is also a regional winner for 2009 Philip Morris Philippine Art Awards. His group exhibitions include: Kalinawa Art Awards Foundation (2007 to 2013), Philip Morris Philippine Art Awards 2010), Agyu sa Lupa (2011, 2012, CDO) and Huning Lumad. (2012, Cebu).

In addition to painting, Soliman also crafts bamboo drums, with horse hide as the drum head.

Salima Saway-Agra-an (b. 1988) is a sister of Waway Linsahay and youngest daughter of Datu Kinulintang, Salima honed her skills by drawing her version of Japanese manga characters (as seen on weekend TV), which she then sold to her high school classmates. Also a self-taught artist, most of her paintings are studies on the roles women play in the community, and their inherent power in shaping their culture and beliefs. Her paintings are layers upon layers of meanings and realities captured in a single image. Some of her group exhibitions include: Kalinawa Art Awards Foundation (2007 to 2013), Bae Mindanao (2011, Manila), Agyu sa Lupa (2011, 2012, CDO) and Huning Lumad. (2012, Cebu).

© Talaandig Artists and the author