Interview with Don Salubayba


















Not to mention the importance of his individual work, Don Salubayba is known as the father of the Anino Shadowplay Collective and a mentor for many young talents. We met up in a coffee shop in SM Megamall, where he had three other meetings on the same day.
(September 25th, 2013, Interviewer: Mayumi Hirano)

*******************
Why is it called "Anino Shadowplay Collective "?

It started as a school-based collective at the Philippine High School for the Arts in Mt. Makiling in Los Banos, Laguna. In 1992, students and graduates of the school, including Alwin Reamillo started a shadow play collective. They made an MTV like vignettes of stories about the Philippines. It was such a clever idea that whenever they traveled to different areas, they would collect local stories through a workshop with a community and they would add it to their repertoire. I think they started with 12 stories, and they ended up with 24. I was still in high school and very curious about what they were doing. When we were about to be the members next in the line, somehow the group disbanded. It was when we were in 4th year, and we loved the craft of shadow play, so my batch mates and I continued the group. We just did it outside the classroom and after graduating in PHSA, we went to the University of the Philippines and took up Fine Arts. We still continued the craft. And it was 5 of us. We collaborated with different groups and performed in dormitories and some festivals. And then after university, we still wanted to do it.



While being active in the shadow play collective, you also developed your own practice.

My artwork and shadow play is very close to each other, because I became active in shadow play first before becoming a painter. Even though I was participating in group shows, I still didn't know what to do. Shadow play was so focused and clear that I knew I was doing it because of reasons. I loved the craft and researching different stories. For two years I always had a struggle with my former mentor, Bobi Valenzuela. He would always ask me: are you a puppeteer or a painter? He said he wanted me to paint, but I didn't know what to paint. In the shadow play, I had a good mission to look for old forgotten stories. I followed a clear path. It made more sense to me.



My first show was in Boston gallery in Quezon City. I exhibited works that were about how a person develops himself directly and indirectly, like a vessel, container of some sort to absorb information and experience. When I was preparing the show, I related to all the people I met through the research. Since then, I have been kind of juggling between doing my own work and collective work, which I always say one always feeds the other artistic wise. Even if it doesn’t feed you financially, it’s OK when you were single. You are living with your parents who feed you cooked meals, so it was not a problem for me back then. I was doing what I wanted. Then I got the grant from Asian Cultural Council (ACC) to have a residency in New York and California, which pretty much opened up lot of stuff for me. It proved me that I can actually combine them. So I combined them through animation. Because when I was in New York, I don’t have the group with me, so I could do puppets but I cannot perform. So I started to use video and stuff, and then I realized that my paintings were very narrative. There is always more than one story behind the work. So I came up with a show that combines still paintings and videos for the first time in Kuandu Biennale (2012) in Taiwan where I literally combined them together like projection on paintings.


You also had a residency with Fukuoka Art Museum in 2008.

Fukuoka was crazy (laughs). They told me I'm only required to do one workshop for the community, but they kept offering me the opportunities. In total, I ended up doing 6 community workshops. I also gave a public talk to old people. It was very touching because I talk about Philippines in my work, and during the open forum, an old lady raised her hand and she said in Japanese “does the Filipinos hate Japanese?” I said “why?” And I realized her generation of Japanese has the experience of the war. I said “no, no, no. Not any more. There might be individual cases but no more. I have a lot of Japanese friends.” After the talk, she told me about her personal story. Her daughter wanted to go to the Philippines for school, but she didn't allow her. But her daughter still went out without letting her mother know. They asked me to look for her in the Philippines.

You attract people to share stories. Collaboration seems to be an important aspect of your practice.

Collaboration is not for everyone, I guess. I started in collective before individual practice, so it’s natural for me to work with people. There are some collaborations you just have to do it. I learnt from Anino Shadowplay Collective (Anino) how to play with my ego, how to put my ego. Amongst Anino members, I’m the one who collaborates with people even outside of the group. I'm also the one who always declares that I'm not going to collaborate with the theatre people any more. The successful collaboration for me is when we treat each other equally. You teach each other. There is no hierarchy like “I'm controlling you.” I think in theatre, it's very obvious. I'm the director, and you are the visual designer. At least treat me equally. I’m the visual designer, and I demand the respect for my visual design. This is my process. If you don’t work like this, what's your expectation, I ask. If we cannot find a middle ground, I will walk away. I don't push through.


Tell me the process that Anino goes through when creating a new work. Do you guys get into fight once in while?

There is no set procedure. It's organic. If you have an idea, you think of the process to realize. So whoever suggests the idea is the leader of the project.

Actually, after we made a piece based on “Ibalon” (an epic from Bicol), there was no more fighting. Ibalon was the most crucial - we were fighting a lot. After that, the process became smooth. There were debates about how to do things without fighting. We were all single back then. Now 50% of our group is married and has kids. We are still friends. Some of us are good parents. So we are like a big family. Actually there is no fighting. Fighting comes only during the trips when we get grumpy but not artistically.

Are all of you visual artists?

Majority of us are visual artist. There are theatre actors, scriptwriters and animators, and housewives. They are the most helpful ones. Housewives with no more kids to take care of…

Everyone plays different roles in the group.

Everyone plays different roles, and everyone can change the roles. Some lead, and others can follow. The idea is everyone can do what everyone can do. Just in case, some is not available, some can take care of it. Now we are 5 of us, and we’ve been together for quite some time, so it’s easy for us.

Do you incorporate traditional puppetry techniques?

You will be surprised to know that Philippines don’t have the puppet traditions. It was erased by the colonizers. There is one that is close to puppetry in Palawan, which is used to solve a dispute in the community. It’s kind of a shamanistic practice. In theory, we could have been influenced by the Wayang tradition, which is used to spread stories. So possible it could be the case, but there is no record.

So, Anino is also using the shadow play to spread the stories of the Philippines.

Yes, pretty much. We are also interested in spreading the medium itself. When Anino was not known, we thought of using a popular literature, Florante at Laura, taught in the 2nd year in high school. Actually by doing so, we were able to get people’s attention. A lot of people came to experience the shadow play.

Do you hope Anino will continue to the next generation?

We don't know. We think in a very Filipino way, meaning we think only in a very short term. I don’t know. Can I ask other members? The charm of the group is that we just want to do it. Being a Filipino we live in the moment. We play because its fun. Makiling is still continuing the visual arts program, and De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde is picking up the program. There is another puppet group, Mulat Theatre, which is very well organized. They are around since the 70’s, and they are a family.

But it’s a good question. It’s about time to think about the future of the group. My kids might pick it up. I don’t know. What's happening with the group is that the priorities change. I can probably say that I’m the only one who is really practicing it consistently. But I think it's always the case with collectives or groups. The one with the deepest passion is always the one who takes care of it, and I also see myself being the one for Anino. Money doesn’t matter if you love the craft, but I understand that priorities change, which is not a bad thing. It’s just the way things are.

*******************

In March 12, 2014, Don Salubayba passed away and is survived by wife OJ and children Amaya and Elias.

Don M. Salubayba (1978-2014) graduated at the Philippine High School for the Arts and obtained Fine Arts degree at the University of the Philippines. He received the Thirteen Artists Award from the Cultural Center of the Philippines in 2009. He was awarded grants from the Asian Cultural Council to participate in a residency program at the Headlands Center for the Arts in Sausalito, California, and at the International Studio, and Curatorial Program (ISCP) in New York City in 2004-2005, and an Artist Residency at the Fukuoka Asian Art Museum in Fukuoka, Japan in 2008. He has had exhibitions in Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Vermont, USA and participated in the 2012 Kuandu Biennale. He won the Special Jury Prize Award and Voice Award at the Singapore Short Film Festival held at the Substation Art Center in Singapore for his animation piece, “A Not So Giant Story” in 2006. Don currently teaches at Philippine High School for the Arts and is an active member of Anino Shadowplay Collective.

© Don M. Salubayba and the author