Interview with Maria Victoria "Bambi" Beltran




Based in Cebu, Maria Victoria Beltran has been contributing to the development of the literary, visual art and film communities in the Visayas and Mindanao region. Her library cafe, Kukuk's Nest is known for artists' hangout as well as a space of creative experiments.
(December 22, 2013 in Cebu, Philippines, interviewer: Mayumi Hirano)

*******************
How did you start Turtles nest?

It started in 1997. We used to have Kukuk’s Nest across the street, and this place was up for rent and I took it because the house is getting old and I am interested in doing something. Because Kukuk’s Nest was more as a backpacker’s place and I was also active that time in the arts so I had to look for another space. There was no definite plan in the beginning. First because I had so many books so we called the place  “book café” and organically it developed into a hangout place for artists because they started coming and frequented the space.

From the beginning, did you have the gallery space  as a part of Turtle’s Nest?

Yeah, we always have the small space to show artworks,  performances and small projects.  It’s an alternative space.



Were there other artist-run spaces in Cebu at the time?

There were only the normal galleries or commercial galleries so to speak. You know the galleries in Cebu don’t survive that long. There is no knowledge of managing a gallery and selling art.

So is Turtles Nest one of the oldest space here in Cebu?

Yeah, I think so. I don’t know if we are doing it well, but we are having fun. That’s a tip for survival, I guess.

How are the shows curated in Turtle’s Nest?

I am not very strict. What normal galleries don’t accept can be done here.  Artists can do everything. They can paint on the wall, ceiling and everywhere, or do performance art. Russ Ligtas is a performance artist from Cebu, and he did a lot of shows here, shows that you don’t really see often in Cebu.  Artists come here because its easy to propose and do a show. I don’t even ask them about their plans. I want to be surprised! Artists tell me what they need and what they want, and normally I say Okay.



Many artists, whom I met in Cebu, have mentioned the absence of curators here, so artists have to organise themselves.

Actually, we don’t have professional curator here, also because many artists resist that. Some art spaces are too strict. They require artists to go through all the procedures and submit written proposals. And you know how artists are, they hate these paper works. That’s why here, I stay open to whatever they want to do.

What was the best show ever held in Kukuk’s nest for you?

A performance art project, wherein the artists made a spoof of the reality TV show Big Brother. They lived in the space for 1 week. That was pretty cool! Before there was also the LUNA gallery at the back of this space, which was a bigger space. It introduced a lot of woman artists and their group exhibits. That was also cool.

Are there many women artists, active in Cebu?

Yes there are a lot, but there were more male artists. Let’s say if there is a group exhibit of 15 artists, there would be only 3 to 5 female artists participating.



How did you get into the arts?

I majored in Biology, and got interested in the arts and went back to school again. But I’m jumping into different media- literary, visual and now I’m into film. I started making films in 2007.

You work in different medium. Is there a reoccurring theme in your practice?

One time I did a leg series. It’s all about legs, very feminine I would say. It’s also figurative. I did this with Russ in a two-man show in 2004.

Do you focus on feminist aspect in your film works as well?

In my literary work, yes. Like, I wrote a story about a woman who left her village when she was young because there was a wild rumor that she is having an affair with a priest. The film is about her coming home and facing her demons. My work always responds to women and nature, maybe. I sometimes make stories based on my own life or other people’s lives. I wrote a story about Mail Order Brides because I see this situation happening.



Can you tell me more about the work?

It’s a full length film that we made in 2011, and its about mail order bride, a simple girl from the Olango Island married to a German guy. Her parents want it so she can help the family back home. But the film shows the island and the simple life in the village. It won best picture in Gawad Urian in 2011. 

Is that where you are from?

No, I am from Butuan in Mindanao. I grew up there. I just finished a short film shot in Butuan about human trafficking, Pigadagit. A girl disappears one day and the parents and villegers believe that she had been taken by a witch or monster from the river and forest but in reality she was taken by human trafickers. But nobody looks for her, because there is a myth.
I shot the film in a very small village by the river, I wanted to show the nature. I was asked to do a workshop in film making, and I proposed them if I were to do a workshop we should come up with a film. Workshop was 5 days and shoot the film for 3 days and we made a 20-minute film with local cast and crew. Because I am originally from Butuan and they asked me to help them in the art scene, and I thought I can combine the visual artists, the literary in the film.

How do you see the relationship between the Visayas and Mindanao in terms of the art scenes?

It’s not as competitive as Manila and Cebu for example, because Cebu is a little bit insecure with Manila as a capital city, and some people always complain they always get everything. But Mindanao, I think they don’t feel like that. They feel Davao is the imperial city and in Cebu they feel that also. Of course the scene in Manil is bigger, more active. In fact many of Cebu visual artists prefer to exhibit in Manila. Because there are more collectors. Cebu does not have a big population of collectors, and local collectors also buy Manila artists. Cebu collectors are very traditional in taste.



How is the literary scene here?

Quite active. Lots of Cebuano writers write in Cebuano. In fact Cebuano literature is now being taught in the universities, and we are very happy because people are reading our work. And I think this is because people prefer to read in Cebuano than Tagalog.

What’s the language spoken in Butuan?

We have our own. The film is also in Butuan language.

Cebuano is not your native language.

For me its native because my dad is from Cebu and my mom is from Butuan. So we spoke Cebuano at home, only my mom speaks Butuanon. And people in Butuan speaks Cebuano, but Cebuano don’t want to speak in Tagalog.

Butuanon is a dying language. Mostly old people speak the language. That’s why I really wanted to make the film, so we can follow what Cebu is doing before the language dies. You know in Butuan, most of the peoples are migrants. They come from Luzon, Iloilo and every where, and children are sent to Cebu to study. Davao now has no distinct language, the people come from everywhere and it’s a huge city. I think Mindanao is less westernized and a lot of tribal groups.

You are a board member of Pusod. Will you tell me about this organization?

Pusod is an open organization for visual artists based in Cebu. But most people there are from UP maybe because most of the core is from UP and some from USC, but I would say 80% is from UP, mostly painters, some sculptors and performance artists.

Pusod was very active in organizing festivals. We hosted the Visayan Islands Visual Art Exhibition and Conference (VIVA Excon), when it was held in Cebu. We hosted it for 3 times. And we also hosted some local festivals, workshops. Pusod is one of the most active organisation in Cebu. Pusod has 5 to 10 core group members plus officers. 

As a board member, I always have to attend the meeting and do all the hardwork, like raising money. For the VIVA Excon for example, there were 100 artists who came, and we had to take care all of them, including their accommodation, food, transportation and all these logistics and we made it! I don’t know how we made it, but we are always hosting it. We ask the help from the local government and corporations. We try but they don’t give cash more. They would give the goods, foods and tie ups, at least its good.

How do you sustain the space? Is the main financial resource coming from the bar and restaurant?

Yes, because people drink a lot of redhorse, and young artists in Cebu start to learn how to drink here. Some of them blame me. I teach them everything. Artists try to see their works here. There was an exhibition that was sold out. Some artists bring their won buyers / collectors. But for the most the artists, trying to sell their artoworks is a totally different game. Actually the reason why I became an artist is because other artists try to sell to me their artoworks and I say NO Ican make it!



Is there an active networks with Cebu and other islands in the region?

Yes, with the visual arts. Because of VIVA, every two years we have to meet. We have directory of all practicing artists from Visayas. With the artists work, name and contact address.  But now I try to focus on film because less people here are into it. But I think what I do is trying to fill in what’s lacking. I try to carry the burden of art world, but I am happy with the results. We try to do something.

X
Bambi Beltran is a multi-awarded literary, visual, and film artist. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of the Philippines Cebu, where she also attended the Bachelor of Science in Fine Arts Program. Her interest in filmmaking started in 2006, when she was cast in the Cebuano film Pagbalik, which won the Best Regional Film Award at the Gawad CCP Short Film competition; this was immediately followed in 2007 by Babaylan, a Cebuano short that she wrote and acted in.

Beltran has since been credited for her work in Ang Damgo ni Eleuteria (Story Writer, 2011), Di Ingon Nato (Associate Producer, 2012), and Cartas de la Soledad (Actress, 2012), among others. In 2011, she also directed a segment of the omnibus full length film Byernes, Byernes. Her most recent work as an actress can be seen in Lav Diaz’s Mula Sa Kung Ano Ang Noon (2014), which won the grand prize at the World Premiere Film Festival in the Philippines, Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland and Sao Paulo International Film Festival in Brazil.


© Maria Victoria Beltran and Mayumi Hirano